Independence Hall (1979)
United States of America

Back to index

The Declaration of Independence (1776) and the Constitution of the United States (1787) were both signed in this building in Philadelphia. 

USA 1956. Independence Hall.

USA 1926. Liberty Bell.

The universal principles of freedom and democracy set forth in these documents are of fundamental importance to American history and have also had a profound impact on law-makers around the world. 

  • USA 1956. Independence Hall.
  • USA 1926. Liberty Bell. Sesquicentennial issue. 

Independence Hall is a historical building in Philadelphia, erected between 1732 and 1753. The building, constructed in the Georgian style, was originally intended to be the State House for the colony of Pennsylvania. It was the meeting place (1775-1781) of the Continental Congress. General George Washington was appointed commander in chief of the Continental Army there in 1775. The Declaration of Independence was adopted in the east room of the building on July 4, 1776, and four days later the famous Liberty Bell, then in the tower of the hall, was rung to acclaim its adoption. In 1787 the U.S. Constitution was framed in Independence Hall by the Constitutional Convention. The hall was the seat of the U.S. Supreme Court from 1789 to 1800.

Independence Hall was restored in 1898 and is now maintained as a museum, housing the original desk and chair that were used by the signers of the Declaration of Independence. The Liberty Bell, formerly housed in Independence Hall, was moved to a separate glass pavilion in 1976. The hall and nearby pavilion together form part of Independence National Historical Park.

Sources and links: 

Other World Heritage Sites in USA (on this site). Inactive links are not described on stamps. Please refer to the UNESCO-listing, section United States for further information about such sites. 

 

Back to index


Revised 03 aug 2006  
Copyright 1999 Heindorffhus
All Rights Reserved