Historic Town of Sukhotai 
and Associated Historic Towns (1991)

Back to index

UNESCO (Paris) 1982. Service Stamp.  Buddha statue from Sukhothai.

Sukhothai was the capital of the first Kingdom of Siam in the 13th and 14th centuries. 

It has a number of fine monuments, illustrating the beginnings of Thai architecture. 

The great civilization which evolved in the Kingdom of Sukhothai absorbed numerous influences and ancient local traditions; the rapid assimilation of all these elements forged what is known as the 'Sukhothai style'. 

  • UNESCO (Paris) 1982. Service stamp. Buddha statue from Sukhothai. 

The Sukhothai kingdom was an early kingdom in the area around the city Sukhothai, in north central Thailand. It existed from 1238 to 1438. The old capital, now 12 km outside of New Sukhothai in Tambon Muang Kao, is in ruins and is an historical park. 

Thailand 1988. Wat Phra Phai Lung. Thailand 1988. Wat Traphang Thonglang.

The city of Sukhothai was part of the great Khmer empire until 1238, when two Thai chieftains, Pho Khun Pha Muang and Pho Khun Bang Klang Hao, declared their independence and established a Thai-ruled kingdom. Pho Khun Bang Klang Hao later became the first king of Sukhothai, calling himself Pho Khun Si Indrathit (or Intradit). This event traditionally marks the founding of the modern Thai nation, although other less well-known Thai kingdoms, such as Lanna, Phayao and Chiang Saen, were established around the same time.

Thailand 1988. Wat Maha That. Thailand 1988. Thewalai Maha Kaset.

Sukhothai became a tributary state of Ayutthaya between 1365 and 1378. In 1412 Ayutthaya installed a chief resident, and King Thammaracha IV was installed on the throne by Ayutthaya. After his death in 1438 the kingdom was reduced in status to a mere province of Ayutthaya. 

Sources and links: 

Other World Heritage Sites in Thailand (on this site). Inactive links are not described on stamps. Please refer to the UNESCO-listing, section Thailand for further information about such sites. 

Back to index

Revised 21 jul 2006  
Copyright © 1999 Heindorffhus
All Rights Reserved