Ancient City of Bosra (1980)
Syria

Back to index

Bosra, once the capital of the Roman province of Arabia, was an important stopover on the ancient caravan route to Mecca. A magnificent 2nd-century Roman theatre, early Christian ruins and several mosques are found within its great walls. 

Syria 1929. Amphitheater of Bosra. Syria 1983. Air Post. Ruins of Bosra. Syria 1968. Air Post. Ampæhitheater of Bosra.
Bosra is situated in the vast Hawran plain, some 145 kilometres south of Damascus. It is an extremely ancient city mentioned in the lists of Tutmose III and Akhenaten in the fourteenth century B.C. 

The first Nabatean city in the second century B.C., it bore the name Buhora, but during the Hellenistic period, it was known by the name of Bustra. 

  • Egypt 1959. Ruins of St. Simon's Gate at Bosra. 

Egypt 1959. Ruins of St. Simon's Gate at Bosra.

Later the Romans took an active interest in the city, and at the time of the Emperor Trajan it was made the capital of the Province of Arabia (in 106 B.C.) and was called Neatrajana Bustra. The city saw its greatest period of prosperity and expansion then, became a crossroads on the caravan routes and the official seat and residence of the Imperial Legate. After the decline of the Roman Empire, Bosra played a significant role in the history of early Christianity. It was also Iinked to the rise of Islam, when a Nestorian monk called Bahira, who lived in the city, met the young Muhammad when his caravan stopped at Bosra, and predicted his prophetic vocation and the faith he was going to initiate.

Sources and links: 

Other World Cultural Heritage Properties in Syria (on this web site). For more information about the individual properties, please refer to the UNESCO-listing, Syria-section. 

Back to index


Revised 29 jul 2006  
Copyright © 1999 Heindorffhus
All Rights Reserved