Historical Monuments of Thatta (1981)
Pakistan

Back to index

The capital of three successive dynasties and later ruled by the Mughal emperors of Delhi, Thatta was constantly embellished from the 14th to the 18th century. The remains of the city and its necropolis provide a unique view of civilization in Sind. 

Thatta, or Thatto, is a historic town of 22,000 inhabitants in the Sindh province of Pakistan. The city, formerly commanding the delta of the Indus, was the capital of Lower Sindh from the 14th century. Since 1512, it was governed in the name of the Mughal emperors of Delhi. After the province was ceded to Nadir Shah of Persia in 1739, Thatta has fallen into neglect. 

Pakistan 1984. Shah Jahan Mosque.

Pakistan 1984. Glazed Tiles in the Shah Jahan Mosque.

Thatta's monuments include the Jama Mosque, built by Shah Jahan in 1647-49 and lined with glazed tiles. 
  • Pakistan 1984. Shah Jahan Mosque. 
  • Pakistan 1984. Glazed Tiles in the Shah Jahan Mosque.  
Pakistan 1984. Interior of a dome in the Jahan Mosque. Pakistan 1984. Symmetrical Archways in the Jahan Mosque. Pakistan 1984. Interior of the main dome in the Jahan Mosque.

There are also the tombs of Jam Nizamuddin (reigned in 1461-1509), several Tarkhan rulers and Mughal officials. A vast old necropolis with thousands of graves may be found at the nearby Makli Hills.

Thatta is home to beautiful lake called Keenjhar. Many people from the neighboring district of Karachi make weekend-trips to this aesthetic place. The central city is host to the magnificent Badshahi Mosque, which was built by the late Mughal emperor Shah Jahan. This mosque has 101 domes and is designed in such a way that an imam's voice can reach every corner of this building without the help of any loudspeaker or other device.

Sources and links: 

Other World Heritage Sites in Pakistan (on this website). Inactive links are not described on stamps. Please refer to the UNESCO-listing, Pakistan Section, for further information on the individual properties. 

 Back to index


Revised 21 jul 2006  
Copyright 1999 Heindorffhus
All Rights Reserved