Bryggen (1979)
Norway

Back to index

Bryggen, the old wharf of Bergen, is a reminder of the town's importance as part of the Hanseatic League's trading empire from the 14th to the mid-16th century. Many fires, the last in 1955, have ravaged the beautiful wooden houses of Bryggen but its main structure has been preserved. The remaining 61 buildings date from 1702, and a large number of them are now used as artists' studios.

Norway 1961. Haakonshallen, one of the remaining buildings on Bryggen. 

Norway 2006. Bryggen.

From 1350 to 1754, Bryggen in Bergen (The Wharf of Bergen) was the seat of the German Office, and the center of the Hanseatic League in Norway, and the whole area was in daily speaking referred to as "The German Wharf". 

Sources and links:

Other World Heritage Sites in Norway (on this web site). Inactive links are not described on stamps. Please refer to the UNESCO-listing, Norway-Section for further information about the individual properties. 

Back to index


Revised 29 jul 2006  
Copyright © 1999 Heindorffhus 
All Rights Reserved