Island of Mozambique (1991)
Mozambique

Back to index

The fortified city of Mozambique is located on this island, a former Portuguese trading-post on the route to India. Its remarkable architectural unity is due to the consistent use, since the 16th century, of the same building techniques, building materials (stone or macuti) and decorative principles. 
  • Mozambique 1972. The Fortified City of Mozambique Island. The stamp was issued in commemoration of the 4th centenary of publication of "The Lusiads" by Luis Vaz de Camões (1524-1580). 

The Island of Mozambique lies off northern Mozambique near the African coastline beside the Southeast Indian Ocean, between the Mozambique Channel and Mossuril Bay. 

The island and its natural harbour were used by Arab merchants as a maritime trading centre from the 10th to the late 15th century, as well as by Indian merchants. 

Mozambique 1972. Mozambique Island and the Fortified City.

The Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama landed on the island in 1498 and claimed it for Portugal. It was known as Ilha de Moçambique in Portuguese. The Portuguese established a port and naval base here in 1507 and later built the Fort of São Sebastião and the Portuguese settlement (now known as Stone Town) became the capital of Portuguese East Africa.

Sources and links:

There are no other World Heritage Sites in Mozambique. Please refer to the UNESCO-listing, Mozambique Section, for further information about the property.  

Back to index


Revised 20 jul 2006  
Copyright © 1999 Heindorffhus 
All Rights Reserved