Medina of Tétouan (formerly Titawin) (1997)
Morocco

Back to index

Tétouan was of particular importance in the Islamic period, from the 8th century onwards, since it served as the main point of contact between Morocco and Andalusia. After the Reconquest, the town was rebuilt by Andalusian refugees who had been expelled by the Spanish. This is well illustrated by its art and architecture, which reveal clear Andalusian influence. Although one of the smallest of the Moroccan medinas, Tétouan is unquestionably the most complete and it has been largely untouched by subsequent outside influences. 

Morocco, Spanish Protectorate 1940. Bab el Okla, Tetouan.

Morocco 2003. Bab el Okla, Tetouan.  

Morocco, Spanish Protectorate 1932. View of Tetouan.

Tétouan or Tetuán, is a city in northern Morocco, near Tangier. In an agricultural district and linked to other points in Morocco by railway, Tétouan is a market center for grain, citrus fruit, livestock, handicrafts, and truck produce. 

Chief manufactures are tobacco products, soap, matches, flour products, textiles, and building materials. Fish canning, printing, and cabinetmaking are the primary industries. The city was founded in the 14th century, destroyed about 1400 by Castilians, and rebuilt in the 15th century by Muslim refugees from Spain. It was the capital of Spanish Morocco from 1913 to 1956. 

  • Morocco 1968. 10 Dirham coin from 1780. 

Morocco 1968. 10 Dirham coin from 1780.

In its justification for inscription the UNESCO states that it is an exceptionally well preserved and complete example of this type of historic town, displaying all the features of the high Andalusian culture.

Sources and links: 

Other World Heritage Sites in Morocco (on this web site). Please refer to the UNESCO-listing, Morocco section, for further information about the individual properties. 

Back to index


Revised 20 jul 2006  
Copyright © 1999 Heindorffhus 
All Rights Reserved