Portuguese City of Mazagan (El Jadida) (2004)
Morocco

Back to index

The Portuguese fortification of Mazagan, now part of the city of El Jadida, 90-km southwest of Casablanca, was built as a fortified colony on the Atlantic coast in the early 16th century. It was taken over by the Moroccans in 1769. The fortification with its bastions and ramparts is an early example of Renaissance military design. The surviving Portuguese buildings include the cistern and the Church of the Assumption, built in the Manueline style of late Gothic architecture. The Portuguese City of Mazagan - one of the early settlements of the Portuguese explorers in West Africa on the route to India - is an outstanding example of the interchange of influences between European and Moroccan cultures, well reflected in architecture, technology, and town planning. 

Morocco 2002. Allegory of Moroccan World Heritage. The stamp shows the Atlantic coastline of Morocco with a Portuguese building of Mazagan (El Jadida) on the left and an imaginary fortified city of the Deep South on the right.

French Morocco 1955. The Post Office in Mazagan in 1924.

  • Morocco 2002. Allegory of Moroccan World Heritage. The stamp shows the Atlantic coastline of Morocco with a Portuguese building of Mazagan (El Jadida) on the left and an imaginary fortified city of the Deep South on the right.

  • French Morocco 1955. The Post Office in Mazagan in 1924. 

Sources and links:

Other World Heritage Sites in Morocco (on this web site). Please refer to the UNESCO-listing, Morocco section, for further information about the individual properties. 

Back to index


Revised 20 jul 2006  
Copyright © 1999 Heindorffhus 
All Rights Reserved