Historic Monuments Zone of Querétaro (1996)
Mexico

Back to index

Mexico 1980. Federal Palace of Querétaro.

Mexico 1997. Querétaro.

The old colonial town of Querétaro is unusual in having retained the geometric street plan of the Spanish conquerors side by side with the twisting alleys of the Indian quarters. The Otomi, the Tarasco, the Chichimeca and the Spanish lived together peacefully in the town, which is notable for the many ornate civil and religious Baroque monuments from its golden age in the 17th and 18th centuries. 
  • Mexico 1997. Querétaro. 
  • Mexico 1980. Federal Palace of Querétaro. Scan by courtesy of Miomir Zivkovic (Serbia & Montenegro). 

Querétaro in central Mexico, is the capital of Querétaro State. It is a center for cotton milling, textile manufacturing, and food processing. It is also noted as a trading center for Mexican opals. The city has a 16th-century cathedral and is the site of Querétaro Historical Museum, the Autonomous University of Querétaro (1618), and a technological institute. An Aztec city, Querétaro was conquered by the Spanish in 1531. In 1810 it was the scene of the conspiracy that sparked the Mexican revolution against Spain. The city was also the site of the surrender (1867) of Emperor Maximilian of Mexico to the forces of the former president of Mexico Benito Pablo Juárez. In 1917 the present constitution of Mexico was adopted at Querétaro. 

Sources and links:

Other World Heritage sites in Mexico (on this website). Inactive links are not described on stamps. Please refer to the UNESCO-listing, Mexico-section, for further information about the individual properties. 

Back to index


Revised 08 aug 2006  
Copyright © 1999 Heindorffhus
All Rights Reserved