City of Luxembourg,
its Old Quarters and Fortifications (1994)
Back to index
Because of its strategic position, Luxembourg was, from the 16th century until 1867, when its walls were dismantled, one of Europe's greatest fortified sites. It was repeatedly reinforced as it passed from one great European power to another: the Holy Roman Emperors, the House of Burgundy, the Habsburgs, the French and Spanish kings, and finally the Prussians. Until their partial demolition, the fortifications were a fine example of military architecture spanning several centuries.
In 1995 Luxembourg was named European Cultural City. Several stamps were issued at this occasion, the Cultural City Logo, shown here, the below very nice strip showing a panorama of Luxembourg and its old city, and finally three stamps of paintings by the Austrian painter Friedensreich Hundertwasser.
Luxembourg (city) is the capital of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, at the confluence of the Alzette and Pétrusse rivers. Also called Luxembourg-Ville (Luxembourg City) and Lützelburg, the country's chief administrative and economic center, the city is of growing international importance as the seat of the Court of Justice of the European Communities, the European Investment Bank, and as a joint seat (with Strasbourg, France) of the European Parliament.
|| The old medieval city, located on rocky Bock Peninsula between the two rivers, is surrounded by fast-growing residential and industrial suburbs. Major manufactures include iron and steel, textiles, clothing, machinery, chemicals, processed food, and beer.
The University Center of Luxembourg (1969) and a conservatory of music (1906) are here. Points of interest in Luxembourg include the 17th-century Gothic Cathedral of Notre Dame; the Grand Ducal Palace, constructed in 1572, and a 19th-century city hall.
Located on the ruins of a Roman settlement, Luxembourg developed in the 10th century as a fortress community. Its large fort, strengthened in later years, was held by a succession of European powers until ordered dismantled in 1867, when Luxembourg was recognized as a neutral European power. The city was occupied by the Germans in World Wars I and II.
It emerged as a focus of Western European unity in the late 1940s.
Source: Microsoft Encarta 2002.
Back to index
Revised 21 jul 2006