18th-Century Royal Palace at
Caserta, with the Park,
the Aqueduct of Vanvitelli,
and the San Leucio Complex (1997)
Back to index
The monumental complex at Caserta, created by the Bourbon king Charles III in the mid-18th century to rival Versailles and the Royal Palace in Madrid, is exceptional for the way in which it brings together a magnificent palace with its park and gardens, as well as natural woodland, hunting lodges and a silk factory. It is an eloquent expression of the Enlightenment in material form, integrated into, rather than imposed on, its natural setting.
||The monumental complex at Caserta, whilst
cast in the same mould as other 18th century royal establishments, is
exceptional for the broad sweep of its design, incorporating not only an
imposing palace and park, but also much of the surrounding natural landscape and
an ambitious new town laid out according to the urban planning precepts of its
The industrial complex of the Belvedere, designed to produce silk, is also of outstanding interest because of the idealistic principles that underlay its original conception and management.
Caserta is a town in southern Italy, capital of Caserta Province, in Campania Region, near Naples. The modern town, Caserta, grew up around a huge 18th-century palace. The old town, Caserta Vecchia, founded in the 9th century, is northeast of Caserta. During World War II, Caserta served as a Mediterranean headquarters of the Allied forces, and the surrender of the German forces in Italy was signed here on April 29, 1945.
Sources and links:
Other World Heritage Sites in Italy (on this site). Inactive links are not described on stamps. Please refer to the UNESCO-listing, section Italy for further information about such sites.
Back to index
Revised 01 aug 2006