Archeological Area of Agrigento (1997)
Italy

Back to index

Italy 1982. Temples of Agrigento.

Founded as a Greek colony in the 6th century B.C., Agrigento became one of the leading cities in the Mediterranean world. 

Its supremacy and pride are demonstrated by the remains of the magnificent Doric temples that dominate the ancient town, much of which still lies intact under today's fields and orchards. 

Selected excavated areas throw light on the later Hellenistic and Roman town and the burial practices of its early Christian inhabitants. 

  • Italy 1982. Temples of Agrigento. 

Agrigento (Latin Agrigentum; Greek Akragas) is a city in southern Sicily and the capital of Agrigento Province, on the Mediterranean Sea. The city is a tourist and an agricultural center, and has ruins of some 20 Doric temples (6th and 5th century bc) and an archaeological museum. 

Agrigento was founded by Greeks from the city of Gela about 582 BC and became an important trading and cultural center with a population of about 200,000. 

After 406 BC, when it was sacked by a force from Carthage, the city (then known as Akragas) declined in importance, although it remained large. In 262 BC it was incorporated into the Roman Empire and became known as Agrigentum. 

It was called Girgenti from the early Middle Ages until 1927, when the name was officially changed to Agrigento. 

  • Italy 1998. Panorama from the regional archeological museum in Agrigento. 

Italy 1998. Agrigento Archeological Museum.

Sources and links:

Other World Heritage Sites in Italy (on this site). Inactive links are not described on stamps. Please refer to the UNESCO-listing, section Italy for further information about such sites. 

Back to index


Revised 01 aug 2006  
Copyright © 1999 Heindorffhus 
All Rights Reserved