Würzburg Residence with the Court Gardens
and Residence Square (1981)
Back to index
This magnificent Baroque palace – one of the largest and most beautiful in Germany and surrounded by wonderful gardens – was created under the patronage of the prince-bishops Lothar Franz and Friedrich Carl von Schönborn. It was built and decorated in the 18th century by an international team of architects, painters (including Tiepolo), sculptors and stucco-workers, led by Balthasar Neumann.
From 1750 to 1753 Tiepolo worked in Würzburg, Germany, under the patronage of its prince-bishop, for whose palace he painted themes from German history and from classical mythology.
The building of the palace started in 1720, on request of Bishop Johann. It is made of yellow sandstone, which provides a golden glow. The palace has 300 rooms, spread over 3 wings. The ceiling over the broad staircase is decorated with Tiepolo's frescoes, and portray the god Apollo and the four continents. At the end of World War II, the Residence was partly wrecked by bombs, but the ceilings and their paintings survived. Scan from Microsoft Encarta 2002.
Germany 1998. The Würzburg Residence. The stamp is a joint issue with China.
The German architect Johann Balthasar Neumann designed the Residence for the prince bishops of Würzburg. Completed in 1746, the palace features a large staircase hall that dominates its center. The Residence is open to tourists, and its south wing houses the Martin von Wagner Museum.
In its large definitive series of Important Germans (1961), The German Federal Republic and West Berlin issued the below stamp, honouring Neumann. A frescoe of Neuman is also found in the "Europa"-part of the stairwell.
The German stamp is undoubtedly produced after the frescoe to the left of Neumann.
Ceiling frescoe by Tiepolo of Johann Balthazar Neumann, the architect of the Würzburg Palace. Scan from the Tiepolo Frescoes Project.
German Federal Republic 1961, and West Berlin 1961. Baumeister Neumann. Scott 830. (West Berlin, Scott # 9N182)
Further, Neumann has been honoured on a German 50-Mark banknote (issued 1993).
German Federal Republic 1993. 50 Mark banknote, depicting Johann Balthasar Neumann. Pick # 40c. Scan by courtesy of Ron Wise (USA)
Other World Heritage Sites in Germany (on this site). Inactive links are not described on stamps. Please refer to the UNESCO-listing, section Germany for further information about such sites.
Back to index
Revised 03 aug 2006