Town Hall and Roland on the
Marketplace of Bremen (2004)
Back to index
The Town Hall and the Statue of Roland on the marketplace of Bremen in northwest Germany are outstanding representations of the civic autonomy and sovereignty, as these developed in the Holy Roman Empire in Europe. The old town hall was built in the Gothic style in the early 15th century, after Bremen joined the Hanseatic League. The building was renovated in the so-called Weser Renaissance style in the early 17th century. A new town hall was built next to the old one in the early 20th century as part of an ensemble that survived the bombarding during the Second World War. The statue is 5.5m tall and dates back to 1404.
The Bremen Town Hall and Roland are an outstanding ensemble representing civic autonomy and market freedom. The town hall represents the medieval Saalgeschossbau-type of hall construction, as well as being an outstanding example of the so-called Weser Renaissance in Northern Germany.
The Bremen Roland is the most representative and one of the oldest of Roland statues erected as a symbol of market rights and freedom. The Bremen Roland is referred to a historical figure, paladin of Charlemagne, who became the source for the French ‘chanson de geste’ and other medieval and Renaissance epic poetry.
Other Hanseatic cities in Germany include Lübeck, Stralsund and Wismar. They are all described on this site.
Sources and links:
Other World Heritage Sites in Germany (on this site). Inactive links are not described on stamps. Please refer to the UNESCO-listing, section Germany for further information about such sites.
Back to index
Revised 04 aug 2006