Gros Morne National Park
Back to index
Situated on the west coast of the island of Newfoundland, the park provides a rare example of the process of continental drift, where deep ocean crust and the rocks of the earth's mantle lie exposed. More recent glacial action has resulted in some spectacular scenery, with coastal lowland, alpine plateau, fjords, glacial valleys, sheer cliffs, waterfalls and many pristine lakes.
The name "Gros Morne" means "Big Bluff". The park is an area of great natural beauty with a rich variety of scenery, wildlife, and recreational activities.
Visitors can hike through wild, uninhabited mountains and camp by the sea. Boat tours bring visitors under the towering cliffs of a freshwater fjord carved out by glaciers.
Waterfalls, marine inlets, sea stacks, sandy beaches, and colourful nearby fishing villages complete the phenomenal natural and cultural surroundings of Gros Morne National Park of Canada.
Although Newfoundland is one of the oldest place names on the eastern seaboard, its evolution may be easily followed. It was the "new founded isle" of John Cabot who sailed westward from Bristol in 1497; although Norsemen, Basques, and Bretons (among others) had undoubtedly preceded him.
By 1502 "new found launde" was being used in official English documents with the French version "Terre Neuve" appearing as early as 1510 - a clear indication of the acceptance of the designation. Giovanni da Verrazano used the term "Terra Nova" on his map of 1529. Newfoundland entered the Confederation as the tenth province of Canada on March 31, 1949.
In 2001 the official name of the province was changed to "The province of Newfoundland and Labrador". About Labrador there remains an element of uncertainty, but most authorities credit the origin of the name Labrador to João Fernandes a Portuguese explorer and lavrador, or "landholder", in the Azores. It was probably first applied to a section of the coast of modern Greenland and later transferred by cartographers to the northeastern coast of the continent. The Dictionary of Canadian Biography, Volume 1, quotes an inscription (near Greenland) on the Weimar map of 1530: "...And as the one who first gave notice of it was a labrador of the Azores (João Fernandes), they gave it the name."
|During 1908 British Colonial collectors were amazed to see
stamps for Labrador inscribed "U.S.A. Postage". This was part
of an elaborate scheme started in Montreal involving a special issue of
three values from an American Company reputedly planning to develop this
Many of these stamps appeared on letters addressed to newspapers in Newfoundland, causing questions to be asked which resulted in the whole affair, company and all, being revealed as a work of fiction.
The American company claimed to have "received a charter
from the governments of the USA and Newfoundland to develop the country, on
condition that a postal service to various parts of Labrador was kept in
operation during the navigable season. Therefore the company had issued
postage stamps of 5 cents, 25 cents, and 1 dollar; the latter value was intended
for use only on parcels and registered matters, and would only be made use of by
the officials of the Company.
No official confirmation was ever made, and the stamps were sold directly to the trade, until 1910, when the bulk of stamps were confiscated by Canadian authorities. After all, they were illegal. Fifty years later Newfoundland and Labrador became part of Canada.
Sources and links:
Other World Heritage Sites in Canada (on this site). Inactive links are not described on stamps. Please refer to the UNESCO-listing, section Canada for further information about such sites.
Back to index
Revised 03 aug 2006