- About Albuisson
- Awards Won (MOF)
- France 2006-2010
- Monaco 1986-1989
- Monaco 2006-2010
Overseas Domains &
- New Caledonia
- TAAF 1997-2000
- TAAF 2001-2005
- TAAF 2006-2010
- The Author
Henri-Louis Duhamel du Monceau (1700-1782) is remembered as one
of the most erudite men of his time. A universally renowned botanist and
agronomist, he contributed to Diderot's Encyclopaedia and was a President of the
Academy of Science. Less known, yet equally remarkable are his interest and
research in maritime subjects. Scientific consultant to the naval minister Count
de Maurepas from 1730, Duhamel du Monceau was the author of seminal and
innovative developments, backed by such fundamental treatises as The Art of
Ropemaking (1747), Elements of Naval Architecture (1752), Means of
Preserving Sailors' Health (1759), and A General Treatise on Fishing (1769).
In 1739 Duhamel du Monceau was appointed inspector-general of
the French navy. Fully aware of master shipwrights' lack of scientific
instruction, in 1741 he founded at the Louvre the school for students of naval
engineering and architecture, the precursor to the naval engineering
All the leading naval engineers and architects of
the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, including Groignard
and Sané, emerged from its ranks.
His collection of model ships and dockyard machines
which he bequeathed to King Louis XV in 1748 can be regarded as having
laid the foundations for a national maritime collection.
He remained the
curator of the Marine Room until his death in 1782.
Nevers is the capital of the department of
Nièvre, in central France, on the Loire and Nièvre rivers. The city dates from the Gallic era; Caesar made it a military depot.
In the 6th century it became the capital of the duchy of
Nivernais, and in 1538 it became a territory ruled by the Clèves and Gonzaga family. In 1659 French statesman Cardinal Mazarin bought it for his relatives, the Mancini. Landmarks include the Visitandine Convent where Bernadette of Lourdes died in 1878; the Cathedral of Saint
Cyr, destroyed in World War II; and the Church of Saint Étienne, the duke’s palace.
In 2000 the 73rd Philatelic Congress took place in Nevers,
and this lovely stamp was issued, showing a faience jar from the
17th century on the background of Porte de Croux.
During a transition period in 2001 all French stamps had two denominations, in
Francs, and in Euro.
Jean Vilar was a French theatre director, who founded his
own theatre company in September 1943 "The Company of Seven",
where he also directed his first show "Dance of Death" by the
Swedish author, August Strincberg.
In 1947 he established the Festival of Avignon, and in 1951 he became
the head of Théâtre National Populaire, where his goal was to attract an
audience of at least 2.500 every night at very affordable prices.
Besançon is a city in eastern France, capital of Doubs Department, on the Doubs River. It is a
farm-trade, cultural, and manufacturing center, noted for the production of timepieces; other manufactures include processed food and textiles. Points of interest in the city include Roman ruins (notably of a triumphal arch and an amphitheater), the Cathedral of Saint Jean (mainly 12th-16th century), and several buildings in the Spanish Renaissance style. Besançon is the seat of the University of Franche-Comté, moved here from Dôle in 1691.
|An important Gallic center, Besançon later became a Roman military outpost. It was made an archiepiscopal see in the 2nd century
AD and became a free imperial city in 1184. Besançon passed, with
Franche-Comté, to the French crown in the 1670s. It is the birthplace of the writer Victor Hugo.
Design Jean-Paul Cousin, engraving Pierre Albuisson.
Note: From 2002 all French stamps only have denomination in
Georges Perec (1936-1982) was a French novelist, poet, essayist, dramatist, and literary
innovator, who gained fame with his formally complex and puzzling works after
the nouveau roman had lost its experimentalist freshness. Perec's most
famous books include La Disparation (1969, A Void), a 300-page novel
written without the letter 'e', and La Vie mode d'emploi (1978,
Life: A User Manual).
|Georges Perec was born in Paris into a family of Polish Jews. He was the only
son of Icek Judko and Cyrla (Schulewicz) Peretz, who had emigrated to France in
the 1920s and settled in Belleville, a working class area in Paris.
When the war
broke out, Perec's father enlisted in the French army and died in 1940 of
untended wounds "after being wounded in the abdomen by machine-gun fire or
a shell splinter.'' Other members of family, including Perec's mother, were
killed in the Nazi concentration camps. Cyrla Peretz was first taken to a camp
in Drancy and from there she was probably sent to Auschwitz.
- France 2002. Georges Perec. Design: Marc Taraskoff after a
photograph by Anne de Bruhnoff. Engraving: Pierre
Isère is a mountainous department in southeastern France. The elevation of Isère ranges from 134 m (440 ft) at the bed of the Rhône to 4,082 m (13,392 ft), over an area of 7,431 sq km (2,869 sq mi). The north of Isère is an agriculturally poor lowland region, while the south is an Alpine region with broad, fertile valleys.
| Isère has two navigable rivers, the Rhône and the Isère rivers. The department of Isère possesses an alpine beauty that draws tourists to the area year-round. Isère was formed in 1790 from part of the old province of
The Church of Notre-Dame de a Salette (Isère) was erected in 1852, six
years after the Holy Virgin had appeared before two young shepherds, and
is today an important pilgrimage for people of all Christian faiths.
Mulhouse (in German Mülhausen) is a city in eastern France, in Haut-Rhin Department, on the Ill River, in Alsace, near Germany. Mulhouse dates from the 9th century. In 1308 it became a free imperial city, and in the 16th century it was allied with the Swiss Confederation.
| In 1798 the city voted to join France. It was under German rule from 1871 to 1918, when it was returned to France. In 2003 the Fédération Française des Associations Philatéliques
held its 76th conference in Mulhouse, and this stamp was issued.
Pierre Albuisson tells about this issue, that he was inspired by the
Bugatti from the National Automobile Museum.
The sepia colours that
dominate the stamp, are the existing ones of the tower in the background;
the blue colours of the Bugatti (from the Schlumpf Collection) makes an
outstanding contrast in the stamp and lifts it out of the ordinary.
|Like the fore-mentioned Besançon, Pontarlier is located
in the Department of Doubs, and with 837 meters of altitude it is one of
the highest cities of France.
The Alpine region offers plenty of sports facilities, including
The primary theme of this issue being Architecture, Pierre Albuisson
has created this interesting stamp giving an impression of the typical
Germanic baroque architecture of the city, which has approximately 20.000
George Sand (1804-1876) is the pseudonym of Amandine Aurore Lucile, Baronne
Dudevant. She was a French novelist of the romantic movement, whose irregular life and many love affairs shocked Parisian society.
Sand was born in Paris on July 1, 1804, the daughter of a French army officer named Dupin who was descended from King Augustus II of Poland. Most of her childhood was spent in the country at
Nohant, in Berry, except for a convent education in Paris.
She married Casimir Dudevant, a country squire, in 1822, but soon became bored and left her husband. In 1831, she moved to Paris and joined a group of distinguished artists that included the French novelist Honoré de Balzac and the Hungarian composer Franz
||She became celebrated both for her writings and for her romantic liaisons, particularly those with the French poet Alfred de Musset and the Polish composer Frédéric
Chopin (see previous
An unknown writer has said about her that "there is something voluptuous
about this woman and her apparition", which Albuisson has interpreted
perfectly into this stamp that was issued for the bicentenary of her
- France 2004. Bicentenary of Birth of George Sand.
According to a message from the Federal Office, dated 31st October 2004, it
was announced that the design for the stamp Nancy 2005 has been chosen. It is a
nocturnal, panoramic view of Place Stanislas, with two se-tenant labels bearing
the inscription "78th Congress of FFAP". In 1983 Place Stanislas
was designated World Cultural Heritage Site by UNESCO.
Top of page